Friday, June 17, 2011

Setting the Stage

As I reflect on this week’s articles, I come away with three main thoughts. One; I realize I have raised two digital natives! And while I guess I already knew that, since my two children have had access to (digital) technology, it was more punctuated after the readings.  Two; whether or not you are a fan or follower of Twitter, Facebook, blogging, podcasting, Flicker, and many others, Web2.0 and social networking are here to stay!  And finally; as much as I want to think that I am technologically literate…these articles make me feel unprepared to help students learn to use these tools. 
With that said, there were some specific notable points to Hardagon’s article (Web 2.0 is the Future of Education) that made me really stop and think.  Digest this thought:  The answer to information overload is to produce more information.” I know that is how my two digital natives work… I’ve seen it!  I, however, was feeling INFORMATION OVERLOAD while I was reading over the articles, and just really wanted to click the OFF button and relax my brain.  Now, most of you can probably relate to me (we aren’t digital natives)… our frustrations when students or our own children, are happy to be busy with many tasks going on at once (watching T.V. while doing homework at the same time listening to I-pod and texting on cell phone!)  My daughter was able to do this and still get things done well.  My son, who has ADD was not so good at that combination, but was very involved with online “gaming”.  (They both drove me crazy!)  I read an article on brain research that says these digital natives have brains that are wired MUCH differently than ours… and this is where I begin to consider this challenge we have as educators!  Hardagon encourages us to “Help Build the New Playbook:  …these digital natives knowledge is surface level, they desperately need training in real thinking skills.  I know I need to help provide my students the resources and tools that are necessary for them to be successful in the 21st Century.  I look forward to the challenge and the task!

2 comments:

  1. I think that the digital native / digital immigrant is a bit dangerous. Sure, many kids (not all) live a large part of their life online...and are adept at using it socially. However, that doesn't mean that thy know how to use it responsibly or in different "spheres" (learning, social, professional, etc).

    I also don't buy the stereotypes that go with digital immigrants. My father-in-law is a "telephone immigrant" since his house first got a phone when he was 7. Although he isn't a big talker, he has no problems using a phone...or a computer for managing his agronomy consulting!

    I enjoyed reading your post & look forward to following along with your explorations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that social networking is here to stay and that for many, myself included, it does not come easily/naturally. Will it make the classroom "better?" Do we need to teach it if they are already natives?

    ReplyDelete