Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tool Exploration: Google Earth and Virtual Tours

TOOL EXPLORATION:  Google Earth and Virtual Tours
Well… I have to say, I spent most of the week dedicated to Google Earth because this is something that I have been interested in and already “dabble” with during  my classes.  There is so much to Google Earth that I am glad that this class is really forcing me to dig in and try to get straight in my mind what I want to expand on with this program!  Since I teach mainly earth science, this is a great and powerful tool and resource for our curriculum.  I have found that students who have used Google Earth are getting the opportunity to explore geography and social studies virtually, and have “traveled” to many places around the globe but have not spent much time exploring their own state!!! So I use the following Google Earth Exercise for Montana (called “MontanaView”) that I was introduced to during another science class I took... MontanaView  (once here, click on Google Earth). You could also explore the other links on this page...many great resources!
I spent a considerable amount of time working with ArcExplorer  which is a Java Edition for Education.  This link is www.esri.com/aejee  and you can also find a link for GIS in Education on this site.   All are very good for a variety of science, social studies, math and other curricular areas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment