Thursday, July 28, 2011

Week 7 Final Project!

Okay... I made a wiki!  (It's called sgmsscience...check it out here).  I really like what I have learned from creating it and I am hopeful that I will be able to convince my administration and IT people that our students should be able to have logins and passwords for the wiki.  My project is on Current Events using CNN Student News.  My wiki is designed to get students familiar with what wiki's are and then the wiki outlines what my expectations are for the weekly Current Events for science class.  I also created a teacher resource folder so I can collaborate with my colleagues and have a common, easily accessible place to get resources.  I may actually transfer that folder to Google docs and encourage all of my colleagues to get a gmail account (if they don't already have one), so I can share what I have learned from my Web2.0 class.  This class has been so valuable, I feel that it is only a first step for me... I am going to dive deeper into Google next week with a GPS class (and arcgis). 

Even if by chance my wiki doesn't work out for students, I will definately be using my Current Events in the class all year.  Most of my Web2.0 work will most likely be involved with Google Earth, Google docs, GoogleMaps and arcgis.com, so I am feeling so much more confident in what I can do so that I have an even more developed student-centered classroom!

I couldn't have learned nearly as much about Web2.0 tools on my own, and have really valued what I have gained through the design of this course and feel priveledged to have had the opportunity to collaborate with a very talented group of teachers.

1 comment:

  1. Lori,
    It looks really good. I like that you included the etiquette portion for students. It seems like that is an unwritten learning standard for which we are also responsible. It looks like it's really easy to navigate (kind of looks a bit familiar). Are you going to do one for math as well? I stored some links for math practice on mine, as well as science. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete